desert : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n arid land with little or no vegetation
- v leave someone who needs or counts on you; leave in the lurch
The mother deserted her children
- v desert (a cause, a country or an army), often in order to join the opposing cause, country, or army
If soldiers deserted Hitler's army, they were shot
- v leave behind
the students deserted the campus after the end of exam period
- Her story is the stuff of fiction: the daughter of Somali desert nomads, Waris ("desert flower" in Somali) Dirie fled her family when she was about 13 to escape marriage to a man .
- Needing jobs and housing for its next generation, the desert kingdom has launched an ambitious plan to build five new cities simultaneously.
- Dotting the desert roadside are the pitiful results: camels parked beside red-faced tourists embroiled in shouting bouts with their hosts.