deserted : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v leave someone who needs or counts on you; leave in the lurch
The mother deserted her children
- v desert (a cause, a country or an army), often in order to join the opposing cause, country, or army
If soldiers deserted Hitler's army, they were shot
- v leave behind
the students deserted the campus after the end of exam period
- s forsaken by owner or inhabitants
- Talked Things Over in a deserted bus, and dashed across some deserted sand dunes, only to be run to earth by the evil adman in a deserted summer resort.
- She shelters women whose families want to murder themonly because they deserted cruel husbands.
- He deserted his family to live among the Indians of the Southwest for decades.
News & Articles
- Summer, But Some New Jersey Towns Still Deserted
The shore season is in full swing, but parts of the Jersey Shore are like a ghost town. On Fielder Avenue in Ortley Beach, few homes have been repaired enough for families to move back in. The beach block is deserted. Debris still litters lots and streets. "They should have cancelled the whole season here in Ortley Beach, that's how far behind we are from recovering," said Fielder Avenue ...
June 18, 2013 - WNYC New York Public Radio
- Khaled Hosseini: “All fiction is characters facing a choice”
If you are ever stranded on that proverbial deserted island, you might hope to have author Khaled Hosseini as your companion. It’s hard to imagine a better buddy: one who could erase hours of boredom with storytelling, treat the inevitable scrapes and dehydration by drawing on his years as a practicing doctor, and stimulate the world — the millions of readers enamored by his New York Times ...
June 18, 2013 - Berkeleyside
- WWII 'Deserters': Stories Of Men Who Left The Front Lines
In his new book, journalist Charles Glass explores the little-known history of thousands of American and British soldiers who deserted during World War II. Glass describes how the strain of war can push a soldier to the breaking point — and how the line between courage and cowardice is never simple.
June 17, 2013 - NPR
- Morgan Tsvangirai in Washington Post
We'll manage to get Mugabe out. Mugabe is being deserted. No one wants to touch Mugabe in the region now. Eventually, we will ease him out,Tsvangirai told Time Magazine.
- Joe Torre in Forbes
We're getting more comfortable - especially the thing that deserted us, which was the offense,Torre said. "We won two in a row. We haven't done this in a while. It's not something we usually trumpet, but we haven't done this a lot."
- Kim Cattrall in Toronto Sun
I think the most powerful thing for me is that we have encouraged many women to change the way they feel about being single, about having cancer, all of the storylines about getting married and then being deserted, being lonely,Cattrall says....