- v make shorter than originally intended; reduce or retrench in length or duration
He shortened his trip due to illness
- v reduce in scope while retaining essential elements
The manuscript must be shortened
- v make short or shorter
- v become short or shorter
- v edit by omitting or modifying parts considered indelicate
- s cut short
the shortened rope was easier to use
- s cut short in duration
her shortened life was clearly the result of smoking
- s shortened by or as if by means of parts that slide one within another or are crushed one into another
- s with parts removed
- Back then, only a handful of districts switched to the shortened calendar (and most returned to a five-day week once the crisis subsided).
- They shortened the ears, added some extra padding around the middle, and turned the rabbit into a mouse.
- We will never know, though, whether her shortened telomeres would have shortened her life.
News & Articles
- Ind. woman sentenced to die at 16 to be released
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — An Indiana woman put on death row at age 16 for killing an elderly Bible school teacher is scheduled to be released Monday after serving a prison term that was shortened after the state Supreme Court intervened.
June 17, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Death row since 16, now free
An Indiana woman put on death row at age 16 for killing an elderly Bible school teacher is scheduled to be released Monday after serving a prison term that was shortened after the state Supreme Court intervened.
June 17, 2013 - MSN
- Shortened America’s Cup Schedule Impacts Bay Area Businesses
San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee is optimistic about the shortened schedule for this summer’s America’s Cup races, but many small businesses feel as if they have been left to take on water in choppy seas.
June 12, 2013 - CBS San Francisco
- Aaron Redmond in AFP
I had been playing in the Bolton League. There were a lot of 50-over matches which were rain-affected, so it was good practice for the shortened version of the game,said Redmond. "We have plenty of good players. I just go out there and...
- Johnny Damon in USA Today
I noticed the first two swings I had I was just a little bit too long,said Damon. "I shortened up my stroke some and fortunately I got a pitch to hit."
- Bud Selig in Seattle Post Intelligencer
No, it would not shorten the game,Selig said. "In the other sports that use it, one thing we can be assured of is it hasn't shortened the games. It takes time. But look, you won't say you wouldn't consider something. There are...