leaning : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an inclination to do something
he felt leanings toward frivolity
- n a natural inclination
- n the property possessed by a line or surface that departs from the vertical
- n the act of deviating from a vertical position
- v to incline or bend from a vertical position
- v cause to lean or incline
- v have a tendency or disposition to do or be something; be inclined
- v rely on for support
- v cause to lean to the side
- s departing or being caused to depart from the true vertical or horizontal
the leaning tower of Pisa
- Last week, the leaning tower of Pisa, famed piece of medieval architecture, was in danger of toppling over.
- Each camp believes Illinois to be leaning toward its candidate.
- When undecided voters leaning towards Obama and McCain are accounted for, the race narrows to 47% to 43%, barely above the poll's 3.
News & Articles
- Man dies after leaning out of moving car, hitting parked vehicle
A man died Sunday night when he thrust his body outside of a moving car and struck a parked vehicle while speeding past, police said. Orlando Mayo Jr. died from injuries suffered when he struck the car parked in the 2000 block of East 79th Street while leaning out of a 1987 Chevrolet Caprice, authorities said. Police News Affairs Officer Daniel Sullivan said he was at a loss to explain why Mayo ...
June 17, 2013 - Chicago Sun-Times
- Report faults Heinz Endowments head for gas ties
The head of an influential charity is being criticized for his ties to the oil and gas industry, but some experts say the allegations are misguided. The Public Accountability Initiative, a liberal-leaning ...
June 16, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Senate Democrats in GOP-leaning states double down on support of health care law
ATLANTA — Far from reversing course, Senate Democrats who backed President Barack Obama's health care law and now face re-election in GOP-leaning states are reinforcing their support for the overhaul even as Republicans intensify their criticism.
June 15, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in guardian.co.uk
We've been extremely gratified by their forward-leaning commitment to sanctions and the private messages that they have conveyed to the North Koreans,Clinton said.
- Chipper Jones in The Associated Press
Honestly, I have not made a decision either way. Let's face it, we all know, sort of, which way I'm leaning,he said, presumably indicating he's still seriously considering retirement after struggling for the second year in a row and battling...
- Mike Modano in Seattle Times
Of his future, Modano said, "I'm leaning toward playing. It certainly depends where and what teams are interested."