- n a cry of sorrow and grief
their pitiful laments could be heard throughout the ward
- n a song or hymn of mourning composed or performed as a memorial to a dead person
- n a mournful poem; a lament for the dead
- v express grief verbally
we lamented the death of the child
- v regret strongly
we lamented the loss of benefits
- There was no one to listen to the pitiful laments of the stowaways who continued to wallow in squalor.
- His urgent, crescendoing lament during the prison-riot scene of Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers raised eyebrows among qawwali purists (Khan himself admitted that he was disturbed .
- This is the now familiar lament of old media when it comes to online news.
News & Articles
- Fever-Mystics Preview
Even after President Barack Obama praised the Indiana Fever for their 2012 WNBA championship, Tamika Catchings couldn't help but lament the team's early struggles in 2013.
June 15, 2013 - The Associated Press via Yahoo! Sports
- 'TransAtlantic' review: Magnificent saga links centuries, continents and the Irish
Colum McCann's previous novel, "Let the Great World Spin" (a best-seller and winner of the National Book Award) garnered a public lament from author Frank McCourt: "Now I worry about Colum McCann. What is he going to do after this blockbuster groundbreaking heartbreaking symphony of a novel?"
June 15, 2013 - The Oregonian
- Development center for tech start-ups launches in Los Angeles
When tech entrepreneurs look back at their bumpy launches, a common lament is, “If only I had known.”
June 14, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Katharine Jefferts Schori in International Herald Tribune
The head of the New York-based denomination, Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori, said in a statement Saturday: "We lament the departure" in Quincy.
- Brad Pitt in RTE.ie
Echoing Clooney's sentiments, 'Ocean's' star Brad Pitt added: "I lament the loss of a ferociously funny and hardcore family man. My thoughts are with [Mac's wife] Rhonda."
- Elvis Costello in Jewish Telegraphic Agency
One lives in hope that music is more than mere noise, filling up idle time, whether intending to elate or lament,Costello wrote in a message posted on his Web site, in which he discussed his decision to cancel his June 30 and June 31 Tel Aviv...