- n a mournful poem; a lament for the dead
- 'I have an allergy for elegy so please don't write one for me when I am gone,' said the writer half jokingly.
- She was a popular citizen and a touching elegy for her came out in the local newspaper.
- It was a heart rending elegy for a person who died of AIDS.
- Andrzej Wajda in AFP
This is an elegy, a film of mourning ...... not a political film,Wajda told reporters after the film was screened out of competition at the Berlin film festival. "It is too tragic to be manipulated from a political standpoint."
- Robert Burns in Dallas Morning News
Poet Robert Burns wrote about it in "Tam Samson's Elegy": When to the loughs the curlers flock.
- Anne Carson in Harvard Crimson
I have loved this poem since the first time I read it in high school Latin class and I have tried to translate it a number of times. Nothing in English can capture the passionate, slow surface of a Roman elegy,Carson writes. "No one (even...