- n a barrier that has parallel or crossed bars blocking a passage but admitting air
- n a frame of iron bars to hold a fire
- n optical device consisting of a surface with many parallel grooves in it; disperses a beam of light (or other electromagnetic radiation) into its wavelengths to produce its spectrum
- v furnish with a grate
- v gnaw into; make resentful or angry
- v reduce to small shreds or pulverize by rubbing against a rough or sharp perforated surface
- v make a grating or grinding sound by rubbing together
- v scratch repeatedly
- s unpleasantly harsh or grating in sound
- But a fusillade of machine-gun fire stopped him on the grating; hit by seven bullets in the head and neck, he crumpled to the ground.
- The toughest job a highbrow machinist can tackle is to make a diffraction grating.
- The making of You and I, the third film produced in Moscow for a Western audience, has been awash with such cultural exchanges, Russian obliqueness grating against the time-is .
News & Articles
- New Aliso Viejo roadwork to be a day job
With previous nighttime work in Aliso Viejo grating on residents nearby, the City Council approved an asphalt rehabilitation project on Aliso Creek Road, this one with a daytime schedule. The $485,000 contract is about $20,000 higher than a contract...
June 21, 2013 - Aliso Viejo & Laguna Niguel News
- County Commissioners Approve Burn Ban in Ward County
If you live in Ward County, a burn ban is now in effect. County Commissioners approved a burn ban this week. You can still burn trash but it has to be in containers covered by metal grating.
June 20, 2013 - News West 9 Midland
- Daniel Tani in International Herald Tribune
It's quite clear that it's metal-to-metal grating or something, and it's widespread,Tani said.
- Shane Bond in Sydney Morning Herald
I was disappointed. I had to get a release from the [NZ] board to join the ICL, then they did an about-face,Bond said. "That is what is most grating - I never even got an apology. After I had signed, I was told I had to tear up the...
- Michael Kasprowicz in The Canberra Times
He did have the knack of irritating you, grating you,Kasprowicz, who locked horns with "the Raj" on countless occasions, told The Sun-Herald between matches for the Mumbai Champs in the Indian Cricket League. "There was the third Test at...