freeze : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the withdrawal of heat to change something from a liquid to a solid
- n weather cold enough to cause freezing
- n an interruption or temporary suspension of progress or movement
a nuclear freeze
- n fixing (of prices or wages etc) at a particular level
a freeze on hiring
- v stop moving or become immobilized
- v change to ice
- v be cold
I could freeze to death in this office when the air conditioning is turned on
- v cause to freeze
- v stop a process or a habit by imposing a freeze on it
- v be very cold, below the freezing point
- v change from a liquid to a solid when cold
Water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit
- v prohibit the conversion or use of (assets)
- v anesthetize by cold
- v suddenly behave coldly and formally
- If the wage and price freeze has done anything for the American character, it has unleashed a streak of latent vigilantism.
- A freeze that cannot be verified could be a strategic disaster.
- In an extraordinary burst of democratic brainstorming, the American political system has generated hundreds of plans for a nuclear arms freeze, including the one that is before .
News & Articles
- Hiring freeze eased at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard
A hiring freeze on civilian defense workers at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard is being eased.
June 15, 2013 - Seattle Times
- Freeze out
Delanie Freeze of Community National Bank and Olivia Brynds of Evans Motors engaged in a pitchers’ duel for most of their Pittsburg Fast Pitch Association Junior League contest Thursday night at the PSU Softball Complex. Freeze and Brynds combined to allow one hit over the first two full innings and combined for 10 strikeouts, five apiece. Brynds and Freeze each struck out the side in the second ...
June 14, 2013 - The Morning Sun
- Chrysler to freeze U.S. salaried pension plans by December 31
By Deepa Seetharaman DETROIT (Reuters) - Chrysler Group LLC, the U.S. automaker controlled by Italy's Fiat, will freeze its U.S. pension plans for some 8,000 white-collar workers hired before 2004 on December 31. Those employees will be shifted to a plan similar to a 401(k) that is offered to salaried workers hired over the last decade, the third-largest U.S. automaker said on Friday. The move ...
June 14, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- President Bush in Bloomberg
It took a while for the credit system to freeze up; it's going to take a while for the credit system to thaw,Bush said in a speech in Washington to the US Chamber of Commerce, the world's biggest business federation representing more than 3...
- Barack Obama in Financial Post
During this period of economic emergency, families are tightening their belts, and so should Washington,Mr. Obama said. "That's why I am instituting a pay freeze on the salaries of my senior White House staff. Some of the people in this...
- Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett in Xinhua
We will be imposing a freeze on all other official bilateral business with Iran until this situation is resolved,Beckett said in a statement in the House of Commons.