draft : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a document ordering the payment of money; drawn by one person or bank on another
- n a current of air (usually coming into a chimney or room or vehicle)
- n a preliminary sketch of a design or picture
- n a serving of drink (usually alcoholic) drawn from a keg
they served beer on draft
- n any of the various versions in the development of a written work
a preliminary draft
the final draft of the constitution
- n the depth of a vessel's keel below the surface (especially when loaded)
- n a regulator for controlling the flow of air in a fireplace
- n a dose of liquid medicine
he took a sleeping draft
- n compulsory military service
- n a large and hurried swallow
- n the act of moving a load by drawing or pulling
- v draw up an outline or sketch for something
draft a speech
- v engage somebody to enter the army
- v make a blueprint of
- The NFL Draft, which begins on Saturday in New York City, is now one of the most eagerly anticipated sports events of the year.
- THE DRAFT When he turned in his draft card to the Justice Department during an anti-Viet Nam demonstration in Washington two months ago, Henry Braun hardly seemed to be.
- PRESIDENT NIXON'S demand last week for congressional action on his draft-revision bill was adapted from a scenario inspired by Secretary of Defense Melvin Laird.
News & Articles
- NFL Draft Reportedly May be Held in Multiple Cities in Same Year
The NFL draft could be hitting the road. According to Don Banks of Sports Illustrated , the league is mulling over a new format for the draft in which the spectacle would take place in three different cities, with Days 1, 2 and 3 each taking place in a different location. Another option would be to move the draft to a different NFL city on an annual basis. The possible changes come on the ...
June 12, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Draft moves: NFL's latest outlandish idea
The recent two-week shift of the 2014 NFL Draft that was necessitated by a scheduling conflict at New York's Radio City Music Hall could wind up being just the beginning of the changes coming to one of the league's glamor events in ensuing years.
June 11, 2013 - Sports Illustrated
- Draft could become a multi-city affair
For anyone who has attended the draft in New York City, it’s clear that the second evening and the third day lack the sizzle of the first night of the event. The NFL knows it, too. Which could result in a dramatic change for the event. The draft could be moving. To three cities in…
June 11, 2013 - NBC Sports: ProFootballTalk
- Marian Ilitch in MiamiHerald.com
Bob was a part of our very first NHL Draft class that also included Steve Yzemran, Joe Kocur, Petr Klima and Stu Grimson. Bob was always there for his teammates and was one of the toughest men to ever play in the NHL,said Red Wings owners...
- Roger Goodell in New York Times
Let's honor the conscience of those who disagree with abortion, and draft a sensible conscience clause, and make sure that all of our health care policies are grounded in clear ethics and sound science, as well as respect for the equality of... Barack Obama http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHQ0yfPaaXFGqLKymRgcres0I2nuA LifeNews.com http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.lifenews.com/nat5057.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNElmK9nU6pM0OU2OGwiIUuUJvjtDQ May 17, 2009
30130 38909 draft I specifically considered whether to impose a suspension on Coach Belichick," Goodell wrote. "I have determined not to do so, largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft...