gulp : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a large and hurried swallow
he finished it at a single gulp
- n a spasmodic reflex of the throat made as if in swallowing
- v to swallow hurriedly or greedily or in one draught
The men gulped down their beers
- v utter or make a noise, as when swallowing too quickly
He gulped for help after choking on a big piece of meat
- A good, professionally written review shines a ray of light onto the mystery of great art, but reading a dozen in one gulp? Positively illuminating!.
- The new breathing technique resembles the way in which frogs gulp down air.
- And, gulp, Anchorman? "What is love?" If your minister floated those notions recently, it may be because movieministry.
News & Articles
- A Very Early Look at Potential New York Mets 2014 Free Agent Targets
It’s hard to imagine during such a disastrous season, but the New York Mets have a chance to be competitive in 2014 and possibly—gulp—play winning baseball for the first time since 2008. Whether the Mets manage to turn the corner next season largely depends on the team’s ability to acquire free agents next winter. In a recent interview with Joel Sherman of the New York Post (h/t MetsBlog ...
June 17, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- 'Gulp' offers inside look at digestion
'Gulp' offers inside look at digestion Times Union Copyright 2013 Times Union. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Published 1:32 pm, Tuesday, June 11, 2013 Mary Roach has noticed a weird double standard about the way we eat. The science writer and Oakland, Calif., resident is amused by the way so many of us are obsessed with the kind ...
June 12, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- Herb Sendek in ESPN
We've been involved in situations before today that were very difficult to swallow,said Arizona State coach Herb Sendek. "Today's like the final big gulp."
- Charles Schumer in Minneapolis Star Tribune
When you listen to them describing this, you gulp,said Sen. Charles Schumer, DN.Y. He said he felt the weight of "history hanging over them" in the room.
- Bob Brown in Sydney Morning Herald
Grandma Party says 'come a little closer Little Red Riding Hood and change us from inside' and then 'gulp' and that's the last you hear,Senator Brown told Network Ten. "Hope that somewhere down the line Peter will be able to influence...