gulping : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a spasmodic reflex of the throat made as if in swallowing
- n the drinking of large mouthfuls rapidly
- v to swallow hurriedly or greedily or in one draught
- v utter or make a noise, as when swallowing too quickly
- In most cases, this is a minor matter, and the result of gulping food while under emotional tension.
- From goldfish-gulping teens in the 1930s, read PTI's coverage of American youth: Secrets of the Teen Brain Research is revolutionizing our view of the adolescent mind.
- But even during her one-week convalescence, Feng couldn't stop thinking about the grim litany that ended with her gulping poison: a marriage to a man she never loved, an .
News & Articles
- Joey Chestnut Wins 7th Hot Dog Eating Contest (Video)
Joey Chestnut ate a record 69 hot dogs (including buns) in ten minutes to win his 7th Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest today. Chestnut won $10,000 and a champion's belt. Last year, Chestnut won the competition by gulping down 62 hot dogs, noted the Daily Mail . "This year I'm trying to eat a little more gracefully, conserve my energy," said Chestnut. Matt Stonie came in second place with 51 hot ...
July 4, 2013 - Opposing Views
- Hartmut Mehdorn in AFP
The subject is too serious. It deserves more than commuters' divided attention as they run to catch their trains while gulping down a sandwich,Mehdorn said in October that year.
- Evgeni Plushenko in USA Today
It was very difficult to skate the program because I'm still not healthy,Plushenko said. "After the third minute I couldn't breathe. I was gulping for air, like a fish out of water."
- Derek Walcott in NEXT
Walcott, with his knack for drawing parallels, writes: "We share one instinct, that ravenous feeding/my pen's beak, plucking up wriggling insects/like nouns and gulping them, the nib reading as it writes, shaking off angrily what its beak rejects".