- n a rheostat that varies the current through an electric light in order to control the level of illumination
- s lacking in light; not bright or harsh
- s lacking clarity or distinctness
- a made dim or less bright
- s offering little or no hope
- s slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity
- Not a day goes by without one of them hogging airtime on a TV variety show, hawking breast-enhancing vitamins in commercials or eclipsing dimmer stars on the gossip pages.
- The Adriatic has been blessed with seven straight days of Adriatic sunshine, after a rainy session last year, but the star wattage of the Biennale 2008 is considerably dimmer.
- The company wanted to know how the recession has affected people's attitudes toward their career and job prospects, which are, of course, getting only dimmer since last fall .
News & Articles
- Why Immigration Reform Might Not Happen
The chances of immigration reform are getting dimmer, say some analysts.
June 11, 2013 - CNBC
- Titan's Haze
Haze in the air means that is not clear and that it is dimmer as a result. Light is blocked. Welcome to Titan whose haze would make the worst day in an earth city clear as a bell. Scientists working with data from NASA's Cassini mission have confirmed the presence of a population of complex hydrocarbons in the upper atmosphere of Saturn's largest moon, Titan, that later evolve into the ...
June 7, 2013 - Environmental News Network
- Mark Richt in SportingNews.com
Both teams want to feel like they are still in the race. We are right now but after Saturday one team's hopes will be a lot dimmer,Georgia coach Mark Richt said.
- John Boehner in Boston Globe
Even as Americans' job prospects grow dimmer, their savings evaporate and their budgets tighten, Washington Democrats seem more determined than ever to continue pursuing tax hikes and pork-barrel spending increases,House Republican Leader...
- Jodi Rell in Hartford Courant
The state is paring its expenses and looking for savings,Rell said in a written statement. "With tax revenues slipping below projections and the national outlook growing dimmer, we have to make sensible cost-cutting moves."