- n a spontaneous loss of consciousness caused by insufficient blood to the brain
- v pass out from weakness, physical or emotional distress due to a loss of blood supply to the brain
- s deficient in magnitude; barely perceptible; lacking clarity or brightness or loudness etc
a faint outline
the wan sun cast faint shadows
the faint light of a distant candle
a faint hissing sound
a faint aroma
- s lacking clarity or distinctness
only a faint recollection
- s lacking strength or vigor
damning with faint praise
- s weak and likely to lose consciousness
suddenly felt faint from the pain
was sick and faint from hunger
- s indistinctly understood or felt or perceived
a faint clue to the origin of the mystery
haven't the faintest idea
- s lacking conviction or boldness or courage
faint heart ne'er won fair lady
- But it is faint indeed; Novelist Lee's prose has an edge that cuts through cant, and she teaches the reader an astonishing number of useful truths about little girls and about .
- At book signings and public appearances, I have seen her fans faint, tremble, mumble, moan and ultimately hit the front of the line and embrace their food hero, repeating her .
- Notes BRITAIN Killed with Faint Praise .
News & Articles
- EEE activity tough to predict
It's coming. The faint buzz past your ear. The spindly shadow bouncing across your wall. Mosquitoes will soon be here.
June 16, 2013 - The MetroWest Daily News
- Cal Lord: We’re all celebrities in God’s eyes
I think I would faint if I walked into Mel's Downtown Creamery and saw Taylor Swift ordering ice cream. You don't expect to see celebrities inhabiting the same places you do.
June 14, 2013 - The Norwich Bulletin
- Motor racing-McNish chasing a Le Mans hat-trick
By Alan Baldwin LONDON, June 13 (Reuters) - Thundering down the long Mulsanne Straight at more than 240kph in the dark, with the car squirming on rainsoaked asphalt and the headlights searching through a murky wall of spray, is no place for the faint-hearted. Allan McNish, two times Le Mans 24 Hours winner and a strong contender in the number two Audi when the sportscar classic celebrates its ...
June 13, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! Sports
- Diego Forlan in The Associated Press
To be among the four best (teams) in the world, there are no words for that,Uruguay star striker Diego Forlan said. "We felt we were going to faint with each penalty."
- Harry Reid in New York Times
Libby's conviction was the one faint glimmer of accountability for White House efforts to manipulate intelligence and silence critics of the Iraq War,Mr. Reid said. "Now, even that small bit of justice has been undone."
- Joran van der Sloot in ABC News
I think she started to faint. It affected me so that I grabbed her from the neck and strangled her for a minute,he told investigators.