- n (baseball) playing the position of catcher on a baseball team
- n the act of detecting something; catching sight of something
- n becoming infected
catching cold is sometimes unavoidable
- v discover or come upon accidentally, suddenly, or unexpectedly; catch somebody doing something or in a certain state
- v perceive with the senses quickly, suddenly, or momentarily
- v reach with a blow or hit in a particular spot
- v take hold of so as to seize or restrain or stop the motion of
- v succeed in catching or seizing, especially after a chase
- v to hook or entangle
- v attract and fix
- v capture as if by hunting, snaring, or trapping
- v reach in time
- v get or regain something necessary, usually quickly or briefly
- v catch up with and possibly overtake
- v be struck or affected by
- v check oneself during an action
- v hear, usually without the knowledge of the speakers
- v see or watch
- v cause to become accidentally or suddenly caught, ensnared, or entangled
- v detect a blunder or misstep
- v grasp with the mind or develop an understanding of
- v contract
- v start burning
- v perceive by hearing
- v suffer from the receipt of
- v attract; cause to be enamored
- v apprehend and reproduce accurately
- v take in and retain
- v spread or be communicated
- v be the catcher
Who is catching?
- v become aware of
- v delay or hold up; prevent from proceeding on schedule or as planned
- s (of disease) capable of being transmitted by infection
- Just back from Spring Break and catching up with what I missed, including this story in yesterday's Washington Post recounting how the White House failed to see the warning signs .
- Civilians often assume the diseases are catching, or venereal.
- The artist's problem, as Ernst Ludwig Kirchner saw it, was "how to arrest in a few bold strokes a movement, catching the passing moment.
- Joey Chestnut in The Associated Press
Chestnut says he wouldn't be surprised if Kobayashi showed up "in hopes of catching his competitors off guard."
- Ivan Rodriguez in The Associated Press
I've been catching a lot of guys,said catcher Ivan Rodriguez, patting Strasburg on the shoulder, "but this kid is unbelievable."
- John Howard in Sydney Morning Herald
It's spreading too many diseases and costing too many lives. We need to do a better job of catching contaminated food before it ever comes close to a kitchen table. My plan addressed the gaps in the inspection process and improves recalls and... Kirsten Gillibrand http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirsten_Gillibrand&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHDOjwk1Nq8bGtHH39lO8Ng333xTw Food Safety News http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2009/10/sen-gillibrand-to-introduce-ecoli-eradication-bill/&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFWtC4OPaqa3rugmHU8wYm564B78g Oct 14, 2009
15697 21871 catchment Mr Howard said today: Unless there are very substantial inflows - and for that read heavy rain leading to run-off into the catchment areas - prior to mid-May 2007, there will be insufficient water available to allow any allocation at the...