- n English term for a dry sharp-tasting ale with strong flavor of hops (usually on draft)
- n the taste experience when quinine or coffee is taken into the mouth
- n the property of having a harsh unpleasant taste
- v make bitter
- s marked by strong resentment or cynicism
bitter about the divorce
- s very difficult to accept or bear
the bitter truth
a bitter sorrow
- s harsh or corrosive in tone
- s expressive of severe grief or regret
shed bitter tears
- s proceeding from or exhibiting great hostility or animosity
a bitter struggle
- s causing a sharp and acrid taste experience
quinine is bitter
- s causing a sharply painful or stinging sensation; used especially of cold
- r extremely and sharply
it was bitterly cold
- bitter victory canada holds it together in a 50.
- NBC: Led with Obamas bitter comments, noting all three candidates accusing each other of not connecting with blue-collar voters, focused on soundbites on remarks Monday.
- And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a .
News & Articles
- They don't need no badges: Tourists bypass Grand Canyon blockade
By Tim Gaynor PHOENIX (Reuters) - Tourist cars and buses resumed their bumpy run to a Grand Canyon tourist attraction on Tuesday, bypassing a roadblock set up last week by a dude rancher in a bitter access dispute. The Hualapai tribe, which operates the canyon Skywalk viewing platform, built the bypass on federal land in Arizona and reopened the Diamond Bar Road to traffic. Diamond Bar runs ...
June 12, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- ‘Bitter Pill’—the aftereffects
Steven Brill , the journalist, entrepreneur, and founder of the Yale Journalism Initiative , shook up the healthcare establishment last March with his 36-page expose , “Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills are Killing Us,” published in Time . The piece, which closely examined the reasons that US healthcare costs so much, has reverberated far and wide.
June 11, 2013 - Columbia Journalism Review
- San Onofre nuke plant to close after bitter fight
San Onofre nuke plant to close after bitter fight Associated Press Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 3:57 pm, Saturday, June 8, 2013 The announcement triggered a celebration among environmentalists and other critics of the nuclear power industry who argued the plant was too damaged to operate ...
June 10, 2013 - seattlepi.com
- Barack Obama in Boston Globe (registration)
Barack Obama said that when small-town folks "get bitter, they cling to guns or religion. . ."
- Jon Stewart in SouthFlorida.com
These past three and a half months have been very tough. The town was torn apart by a bitter writer's strike, but I'm happy to say that the fight is over,Stewart said. "So tonight, welcome to the makeup sex."
- Diego Maradona in Independent
I am turning 50 and I'm not bitter,he said. "But I get annoyed when people don't respect my players. It isn't easy going from being nobodies back home to winning three matches at a World Cup. At the training camp, we had to swallow what...