- a of or related to or containing sulfur or derived from sulfur
- s harsh or corrosive in tone
a sulfurous denunciation
- s characterized by oppressive heat and humidity
the sulfurous atmosphere preceding a thunderstorm
- Two flight attendants struggled with the tall, unkempt man after one of them noticed the sulfurous smell of a lighted match.
- The skies were leaden with fumes from the sulfurous lignite used to generate electricity.
- At aerospace plants across the country, the mood was no less sulfurous.
News & Articles
- LeBrun: A total fail at our Capitol
LeBrun: A total fail at our Capitol That sulfurous smell hovering over the Capitol should abate in a day or two now that the legislative session from hell has folded. Not entirely, of course, because of those who reside there year-round. But what an utterly dissatisfying failure of a session it was. It was dismal for the governor, the Legislature, a promised progressive agenda that turned to ...
June 24, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- Bob Shrum in International Herald Tribune
It's not the going to the convention, it's how sulfurous and negative this gets,Shrum said of the Clinton-Obama battle.
- Bill Ayers in Chicago Sun-Times
Michelle Obama has become the queen, not just of America, but of the world,Ayers said. "Just a few months ago, she was being dragged through the media in what one New York Times person called 'Round Two of the sulfurous national game of...