- n possession of controlling influence
the deterrent power of nuclear weapons
the power of his love saved her
his powerfulness was concealed by a gentle facade
- n (physics) the rate of doing work; measured in watts (= joules/second)
- n possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done
danger heightened his powers of discrimination
- n (of a government or government official) holding an office means being in power
during his first year in power
the power of the president
- n one possessing or exercising power or influence or authority
the mysterious presence of an evil power
- n a mathematical notation indicating the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself
- n physical strength
- n a state powerful enough to influence events throughout the world
- n a very wealthy or powerful businessman
- v supply the force or power for the functioning of
The gasoline powers the engines
- Until recently, the power of the social networking sites was hugely underestimated.
- In some countries the power of the mafia exceeds that of the government and the former's writ prevails.
- Russia is stubbornly increasing its dependency on the nuclear power plants even as the rest of the world is slowly phasing them out.
News & Articles
- Power outage on West Route 66
A downed power line on West Route 66 caused traffic snarls and cut off power to about 3,200 customers for about an hour Thursday afternoon.
June 14, 2013 - Arizona Daily Sun
- Power knocked out twice for Provo residents
PROVO -- Two power outages kept Provo power crews busy on Thursday.
June 14, 2013 - Provo Daily Herald
- Power restored after NE Portland wreck
PORTLAND -- Power was restored to all but 350 people after nearly 17,000 Pacific Power customers were without electricity in Northeast Portland Thursday afternoon after a car crashed into a utility pole, the utility company reported. The car hit the utility pole near Northeast 57th Avenue and Northeast Fremont Street, causing the power lines to snap. Pacific Power said power was restored to many ...
June 13, 2013 - KGW NewsChannel 8 Portland