leading : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n thin strip of metal used to separate lines of type in printing
- n the activity of leading
- v take somebody somewhere
- v have as a result or residue
- v tend to or result in
- v travel in front of; go in advance of others
- v cause to undertake a certain action
- v stretch out over a distance, space, time, or scope; run or extend between two points or beyond a certain point
- v be in charge of
- v be ahead of others; be the first
- v be conducive to
- v lead, as in the performance of a composition; Barenboim conducted the Chicago symphony for years"
- v lead, extend, or afford access
- v move ahead (of others) in time or space
- v cause something to pass or lead somewhere
- v preside over
- s indicating the most important performer or role
the leading man
- s greatest in importance or degree or significance or achievement
the country's leading poet
- a going or proceeding or going in advance; showing the way
we rode in the leading car
the leading edge of technology
- s having the leading position or higher score in a contest
the leading team in the pennant race
- McDonnell's 14-point lead comes on the same day that a Monmouth survey found Republican Chris Christie leading by the same margin in the race for governor of New Jersey.
- Although he has gradually gained international recognition as one of the world's leading conservationists, many Brits still think of him as a crank who talks to plants.
- But as the leading Islamic thinker among Europe's second- and third-generation Muslim immigrants, the Geneva-based university lecturer also inspires a good deal of mistrustfrom .
- Barack Obama in The Associated Press
This is a choice between the policies that led us into the mess or the policies that are leading us out of the mess,Obama said. "It's a choice between falling backward and moving forward."
- Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo in New York Times
The acquisition of Navteq is another step toward Nokia becoming a leading player in this space,Mr. Kallasvuo said in a statement.
- Gregory Smith in USA Today
It's uncertain again what is happening in Iran that's leading to that occurrence,Smith said.