hike : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a long walk usually for exercise or pleasure
she enjoys a hike in her spare time
- n an increase in cost
- n the amount a salary is increased
he got a wage hike
- v increase
The landlord hiked up the rents
- v walk a long way, as for pleasure or physical exercise
hike the Rockies
- The increase is the third and final uptick in a hike that has since 2007 boosted the federal minimum wage from $5.
- And their public utility, Florida Power Light (FPL), is lobbying the state for a 30% rate hike (vital, FPL execs insist, for upgrading infrastructure).
- A hike in the minimum wage will hurt small businesses that cannot afford to pay more.
News & Articles
- Hike the Edge Hill trails
The Sharon Friends of Conservation invites all to join in on a hike near the beginning of the Warner Trail and other trails winding through this area at 2 p.m. on Saturday, June 22. Paths are wide, scenic and easily managed. People will have to ascend at stairway at the beginning of the hike that requires moderate exertion for about 2 to 5 minutes.
June 19, 2013 - Sharon Advocate
- Hike Sunday at Green Point
Ranger John Anderson will lead a hike down Green Point Environmental Learning Center’s trails at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
June 19, 2013 - Midland Daily News
- Hike, India's Mobile Messaging Upstart, Expands Language Support & Adds Offline Messaging, Stickers & More To Fuel ...
There's no room at the digital inn for more mobile messaging apps, but that's not stopping them crowding in. Hike, an Indian mobile messaging app that's only been around six months but has amassed more than five million registered users in that time, is doubling down on its home market while expanding its accessibility further afield too.
June 19, 2013 - TechCrunch
- John McCain in AFP
Senator Obama insists on a tax hike as a matter of principle,McCain said. "Apparently, as my opponent sees it, there's a strict limit to your earnings and wealth, and it's for politicians to decide. The proper amount of wealth is not what...
- Barack Obama in Washington Post
Another Obama ad on health care calls McCain's plans "a multitrillion dollar tax hike. The largest middle-class tax increase in history."
- Sarah Palin in The Associated Press
...said Tuesday at a fundraiser for a ministry serving special needs children that new rules that raise $13 billion by limiting contributions to flexible spending accounts amount to a "hefty tax hike."