guileful : Definition, Usages, News and More
- s marked by skill in deception
- In the service of his objectives, he could be, and often was, devious, guileful, manipulative, evasive, dissembling, underhanded, even ruthless.
- In You Can't Go Home Again, the late Thomas Wolfe lovingly caricatured Good Friend Perkins as "Foxhall Edwards"; drew a Miltonic epitaph: "Oh guileful Fox, how innocent in .
- If Lolita, in Dominique Swain's marvelous performance--a mercurial blend of the guileful and guileless--is as much victimizer as victim, well, such creatures are not unknown in life.
- Claire Danes in Independent
I don't think she's sleeping with him to further her career necessarily,argues Danes. "She is ambitious but she's not guileful or conniving. She wants to succeed but she doesn't want to bring anyone else down necessarily in the process....