- n shrewdness as demonstrated by being skilled in deception
- n crafty artfulness (especially in deception)
- s attractive especially by means of smallness or prettiness or quaintness
a cunning baby
- s marked by skill in deception
cunning men often pass for wise
- s showing inventiveness and skill
the cunning maneuvers leading to his success
- Filmed in 1998, this scene from the newly released documentary Imelda offers a wonderfully revealing glimpse into the personality of the Philippines' former First Ladya cunning .
- That's where director Zhang Yimou blended history book with graphic novel in the worldwide hit Hero, and whence he returns with the even zippier, more cunning kung fu caper .
- The other progeny is a bit more cunning, inheriting from its parent the gift of never-ending life.
News & Articles
- Morgan conjures the past with a poet skill
Robert Morgan has a rare and cunning gift: he can sift through the detritus of the past, pluck objects and images from his memory (especially his childhood) and elevate them to the point where they become — in the sense that Joseph Campbell uses the word — “numinous.”
June 12, 2013 - Smoky Mountain News
- Mojito King Rising: Get Ready for Washington Art Association's Summer Solstice Party June 22
A man doesn’t just get the illustrious title of Mojito King for nothing. It takes a proven sense of cunning, tenacity and all around ingenuity when faced with what others would call the most insurmountable of obstacles.
June 12, 2013 - Litchfield County Times
- Big personalities come into play as trial commences
Today’s opening of the blockbuster trial of Southie gangster James “Whitey” Bulger pits tireless prosecutors against a steadfast defense team that is sure to produce fireworks all summer long. Legal experts predict jurors will be sent on a wild ride through the 83-year-old mobster’s brutal past packed with cunning and courtroom one-upmanship.
June 12, 2013 - Boston Herald
- Sir Alex Ferguson in International Herald Tribune
Paul Gascoigne to me was the best player of his era in English football,Ferguson said. "He was a breath of fresh air because he played with a smile, and he played with a cunning and an aggression - apart from all the great abilities he...
- Johnny Miller in New York Times
He'll just play it with a lot of wisdom and cunning, and also past knowledge,Miller said. "Forget the age. You think, 'Well, he's not a favorite.' But he could contend. I don't know if he can do it for four rounds, but he's a great part of...
- Ashley Judd in ABC News
Judd said in a statement that she anticipated criticism from "cunning and greedy" coal companies when speaking out against mountaintop mining.