- v cause to be more favorably inclined; gain the good will of
- v give a title to someone; make someone a member of the nobility
- v stroke soothingly
- s soft and mild; not harsh or stern or severe
a gentle reprimand
a vein of gentle irony
poked gentle fun at him
- s having or showing a kindly or tender nature
the gentle touch of her hand
her gentle manner was comforting
a gentle sensitive nature
gentle blue eyes
- s quiet and soothing
a gentle voice
a gentle nocturne
- s belonging to or characteristic of the nobility or aristocracy
of gentle blood
- s easily handled or managed
a gentle old horse, docile and obedient
- s having little impact
a gentle breeze
- s marked by moderate steepness
a gentle slope
- In Japan, some thugs run to a gentlemanly stripe.
- Before sailing back to chivalrous France, Elise and Jules Jusserand, the mistress and master of the French Embassy at Washington, did a gentle and a Gallic deed.
- The most popular and beloved German playwright is Shakespearegentle Wilhelm, the bard of Stuttgart-am-Neckar and every other hamlet from Rosencrantz.
News & Articles
- Tradition, weather collide for US Open at Merion
ARDMORE, Pa. (AP) — Under bright sunshine and a gentle breeze, Sergio Garcia signed autographs near the tee box at the 16th hole during his final practice round for the U.S. Open. He then sent his drive in the direction of one of those charming red wicker baskets that sit atop the flagpoles, the white ball coming to rest nicely in the middle of the fairway with nary a smudge of mud.
June 13, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Tradition of Merion meets a traditional golf foe _ weather _ as US Open returns after 32 years
ARDMORE, Pa. — Under bright sunshine and a gentle breeze, Sergio Garcia signed autographs near the tee box at the 16th hole during his final practice round for the U.S. Open. He then sent his drive in the direction of one of those charming red wicker baskets that sit atop the flagpoles, the white ball coming to rest nicely in the middle of the fairway with nary a smudge of mud.
June 13, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Cera, Gentle joins summer tour
<p>DURANT, Okla. – Southeastern volleyball players <dfn>Emily Gentle</dfn> and <dfn>Madelynne Cera</dfn> have been selected to join BIP-Southeastern, a summer touring ...
June 11, 2013 - Durant Daily Democrat
- Paul McCartney in AFP
I feel privileged to have hung out and worked with Michael,ex-Beatle McCartney said. "He was a massively talented boy man with a gentle soul. His music will be remembered forever and my memories of our time together will be happy ones."
- Tony Blair in Guardian
Anthony Minghella was a wonderful human being, creative and brilliant, but still humble, gentle and a joy to be with,Blair said. "Whatever I did with him, personally or professionally, left me with complete admiration for him, as a...
- Joseph Lowery in Guardian Unlimited
Yolanda was lovely. She wore the mantle of princess, and she wore it with dignity and charm,Lowery said. "She was a warm and gentle person and was thoroughly committed to the movement and found her own means of expressing that commitment...