- v cause to be more favorably inclined; gain the good will of
- v fight violence and try to establish peace in (a location)
The U.N. troops are working to pacify Bosnia
- The police tried to pacify the crowd agitating against the hit and run case but the crowd became more and more restive till they set ablaze a police vehicle.
- Confident the surge would pacify Baghdad, bus driver Andalus Hammadi and his family returned from Syria last summer.
- The Iraqi-led military push to pacify Baghdad, Operation Forward Together, has run into fierce resistance from the Sunni insurgency and the Shi'ite militias.
- Ali Mohamed Gedi in International Herald Tribune
The whole objective of the insurgents or the terrorists is to stop or delay the national reconciliation conference. We will not do it. We will continue,Gedi said outside his home, which was damaged in Sunday's blast. "We will try to pacify...
- Stephen Harper in Winnipeg Sun
In a speech last year, Harper accused critics of his law-and-order agenda of trying to "pacify Canadians with statistics." "Your personal experiences and impressions are wrong, they say; crime is really not a problem. These apologists remind...
- Kofi Annan in AFP
Annan said the first priority was "to try to pacify the countryside and the country" before tackling the long-term scars and costs.