flourish : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a showy gesture
she entered with a great flourish
- n an ornamental embellishment in writing
- n a display of ornamental speech or language
- n the act of waving
- n (music) a short lively tune played on brass instruments
he entered to a flourish of trumpets
- v grow vigorously
- v make steady progress; be at the high point in one's career or reach a high point in historical significance or importance
- v move or swing back and forth
- Oprah, 52, reminds us that we who flourish in freedom have a moral responsibility to help others who have the desire to succeed but just need an opportunity.
- Clairvoyants who claim to communicate with the dead--and warnings not to listen to them--go back at least as far as the Old Testament, yet psychics continue to flourish in back .
- With a flourish, Fai slaps on a cool, floppy plaid racing cap, like the ones worn by Cuban jazz trumpeters.
- Sonia Sotomayor in Washington Examiner
Sotomayor said she made the statement in an effort to inspire young Hispanic students and lawyers, characterizing them as "a rhetorical flourish that fell flat," and she conceded "it left an impression that I believed that life experiences...
- President Bush in San Jose Mercury News
We have been bold or deliberate as circumstances demanded, but our objective remains constant: to restore a more stable financial and economic environment in which opportunity can again flourish and in which Americans hard work and creativity can... Ben Bernanke http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Bernanke&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEsTNLK-7-f3R5-thHohB-P27CEdw Melbourne Herald Sun http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25983577-664,00.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFWR3DciRoJMOS1cc6KX5O4dwnZfQ Aug 25, 2009
38394 49625 flourish I am humbled by those who have made the ultimate sacrifice that allow a free civilization to endure and flourish," Bush said. "It only remains for us, the heirs of their legacy, to have the courage and the character to follow their lead and...