fanfare : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a gaudy outward display
- n (music) a short lively tune played on brass instruments
her arrival was greeted with a rousing fanfare
- Never before had a departing member of a President's cabinet been ushered out with such fanfare.
- Doctrines, like submarines, tend to be launched with fanfare.
- Carnegie was, and Mittal is, famously generous and charitable, although Mittal has given millions of dollars without fanfare to tsunami relief and other causes.
News & Articles
- US Open Golf Predictions 2013: Projections for Tiger Woods and Biggest Stars
The U.S. Open might not have the fanfare of the Masters, but the second major of the year still features the biggest superstars in the sport. The question is how each of them will do over the weekend. Tiger Woods enters the event as the favorite as the No. 1-ranked golfer in the world. He has won four tournaments already this season and is playing as well as he has in years. On the other hand ...
June 13, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- ESPN to kill 3-D broadcasts by end of year
ESPN will stop broadcasting in 3-D by the end of the year, the network said Wednesday, dealing a major blow to a technology that was launched with great fanfare but has been limping along for years. The ...
June 12, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- The 5 Money Lessons I Learned From My Father
One-day in the early 1960s, my dad arrived home from his Pittsburgh engineering and consulting firm and brought along a beautiful English leather saddle. He put it on the back of a living room chair with great fanfare. Mom laughed and asked what the heck he planned to do with it. ?Well, someday we?re going to have horses," he replied, "and this was a good buy.?
June 12, 2013 - Forbes
- Barack Obama in Washington Post
Obama said while plans are offered in every campaign season with "much fanfare and promise," they collapse under the weight of Washington politics, leaving citizens to struggle with the skyrocketing costs.
- Joe Biden in ABC News
Mr. Rooney Sr., Dan's dad, had, without any fanfare, without, without any announcement, without anything other than his incredible decency:,said Biden, trying to continue but stopping again to wipe away his tears.