fanjet : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an airplane propelled by a fanjet engine
- n a jet engine in which a fan driven by a turbine provides extra air to the burner and gives extra thrust
- They are more efficient for subsonic aircraft than the fanjet engines planned for the 1980s; on flights of up to 1,500 miles, the prop fan would be 40% more fuel economical .
- Roughly one-half as big as a Boeing 707, both planes have two fanjet engines mounted on the sides of the rear fuselage, cruise at about 550 m.
- Instead, in an attempt to recoup its 880 losses, Convair decided to build a long-range jet, the 990, which, by using the then new fanjet engine, would fly faster (635 m.