- v make full, also in a metaphorical sense
- v become full
The pool slowly filled with water
The theater filled up slowly
- v occupy the whole of
- v assume, as of positions or roles
- v fill or meet a want or need
- v appoint someone to (a position or a job)
- v eat until one is sated
He filled up on turkey
- v fill to satisfaction
- v plug with a substance
- s (usually followed by `with' or used as a combining form) generously supplied with
theirs was a house filled with laughter
a large hall filled with rows of desks
- a of purchase orders that have been filled
- s (of time) taken up
- Another nearby was much bigger and also filled with ammunition.
- A black-haired moppet draws a picture of a heart on a fence and explains to the little boy: "One side is filled with hate and the other side is filled with love.
- The inner pot is filled with fruit, vegetables or soft drinks; a wet cloth covers the whole thing.
News & Articles
- Frank Luntz, GOP Strategist, Shows Off His Collectible-Filled California Home (PHOTOS)
For one thing, the political consultant has filled his rooms with collectibles and treasures from famous moments in history, entertainment and sports. Some of his most-prized possessions include a Winston Churchill statue and a billiard table once owned by Ulysses S. Grant.
June 18, 2013 - The Huffington Post
- Gazette.Net: With school board slots filled, Prince George
With the final three appointees to the Prince George’s County school board — a retired university administrator, an education consultant and a parent-education advocate — sworn in Monday, one more position remains to be filled: school system CEO.
June 18, 2013 - Gazette.net
- Iran 'in heaven' as soccer team qualifies for 2014 World Cup
By Zahra Hosseinian and Marcus George DUBAI (Reuters) - Tehran's streets were filled with young revelers for the second time in four days on Tuesday after the Iranian national soccer team qualified for the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil with a win over South Korea. "I feel like God is answering all of our prayers at once," 24-year-old Nasim said by phone from Tehran. "First a new, different ...
June 18, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Barack Obama in FOXNews
Obama said "My job is to communicate from the American people that the Muslim world is filled with extraordinary people who simply want to live their lives."
- Chet Culver in USA Today
I am especially saddened because the accident occurred during the events celebrating Independence Day, which is a day that should be filled with pride and joy for all Iowans and Americans,Culver said.
- Betty Ford in Christian Post
His life was filled with love of God, his family and his country,noted Betty Ford.