- v escape, either physically or mentally
The thief eluded the police
- v be incomprehensible to; escape understanding by
What you are seeing in him eludes me
- v avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues)
- She will speak in a hush, as if to elude some spy's eavesdropping from behind the potted palm.
- The Swiss maestro has lost six matches this year, including yet another defeat to second-ranked Rafael Nadal in the final of the French Open, the only Grand Slam title to elude him.
- He respects the Jedi ethic while squirming to elude its strictures; he loves both his faraway mother and the royal temptation at his side; he does engage in a revenge massacre but .
News & Articles
- Pierce County's "Most Wanted"
Although crime is not rampant around Pierce County, there are still those who break the law - and elude capture.
June 23, 2013 - The Blackshear Times
- Blast it! Yankees' CC upset by slam
As CC Sabathia watched Wil Myers’ fly ball to right-center barely elude Brett Gardner, bounce off the top of the wall and into the stands for a grand slam, Sabathia appeared to be in disbelief. “I’m used to playing here, knowing balls are going to get out that probably...
June 23, 2013 - New York Post
- Men steal car, try to elude police
Frankfort Police say an officer spotted a speeding car on US 127 around 12:35 a.m. on June 19. When the officer tried to stop the vehicle, the car sped off and made a turn trying to elude him.
June 21, 2013 - WAVE 3 Louisville
- David Garrard in ABC News
Just can't take a sack right there,Garrard said. "I really didn't see it and have an opportunity to elude that guy. I thought I had guys coming open."
- Nancy Pelosi in Washington Post
The threat of terrorist violence against the United States is growing. Al-Qaida is gaining strength, and Osama bin Laden continues to elude capture,Pelosi said. "There is not a moment to spare to take the steps necessary to keep the...
- Clint Hurdle in USA Today
Unless Interpol red notices are issued urgently for these fugitives and unless the world community commits itself to tracking them down, they will be able to travel internationally, to elude detection and to engage in future terrorist... Ronald Noble http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Noble&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNExmgHeuaZ3Zz2gnnjVsy_vxKtWJA Malaysia Star http://www.google.com/url?q=http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp%3Ffile%3D/2006/2/6/worldupdates/2006-02-05T234915Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_-235362-1%26sec%3DWorldupdates&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEz7vBccL-zSgzMdntfpoFX89moNw Feb 5, 2006
32334 41752 eluding We had opportunities again, and we weren't able to cash in," Hurdle said. "That complete game is still eluding us in all facets."