- v cheat somebody out of what is due, especially money
- v hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of
- v evade payment to
He bilked his creditors
- v escape, either physically or mentally
- She has also helped set up an antifraud team to crack down on "419" letter and Internet advance-fee scams, which bilk everyone from unsuspecting pensioners to large banks by .
- In aggregate, are we trying to rescue the uninsured or bilk them? Is reform something we are doing for them or to them? The reformers' speed belies their words as well.
- Hal and millions of other Americans have made it a normal practice to bilk large sums of money out of Uncle Sam at tax time.
News & Articles
- Corrupt lab boss: Doctors took millions in bribes
Leaders of a New Jersey medical laboratory admit to paying bribes to hundreds of doctors in New York and New Jersey in order to bilk millions from Medicare. Jonathan Dienst reports.
June 11, 2013 - MSNBC
- School lunch servers made extra food, then trashed it for more pay
EDMONDS, Wash. — Two former food service workers at the Edmonds School District prepared — then trashed — more than 1,500 meals in an effort to bilk the district out of money, the Everett Herald reported. According to the Herald, …
June 10, 2013 - Q13 FOX Seattle
- Former Lubbock hospital VP pleads guilty to fraud
A former vice president of a Lubbock hospital has pleaded guilty to a scheme in which he used fake invoices to bilk the hospital for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
June 7, 2013 - KFDA-TV Amarillo
- Greg Abbott in Bizjournals.com
So deep was Ralph Reed involved in Jack Abramoff's schemes to bilk his clients and advance gambling interests - so caught up in the Washington culture of corruption was Ralph Reed that he lost a party primary in Georgia for Lieutenant Governor in... Henry Waxman http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Waxman&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHJ0ewhvZoz9CCq5P52rucQCNWNNg Earthtimes (press release) http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/dnc-rep-waxman-says-ralph,507216.shtml&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGiqXl5RK2KAoMMdNp9fzgmTMdoXA Aug 15, 2008
10016 13898 bilk We will not tolerate big pharmaceutical companies that ignore the laws of Texas and bilk Texas taxpayers in the race for profits," Abbott says.
- Lloyd Doggett in Reuters
Our government should not be in the business of patenting new and inventive ways to bilk the Treasury at the expense of law-abiding taxpayers,said Congressman Lloyd Doggett, a Texas Democrat who has drafted legislation against tax havens.