- n the act of escaping physically
he made his escape from the mental hospital
the canary escaped from its cage
- n an inclination to retreat from unpleasant realities through diversion or fantasy
romantic novels were her escape from the stress of daily life
- n nonperformance of something distasteful (as by deceit or trickery) that you are supposed to do
that escape from the consequences is possible but unattractive
- n an avoidance of danger or difficulty
that was a narrow escape
- n a means or way of escaping
hard work was his escape from worry
they installed a second hatch as an escape
their escape route
- n a plant originally cultivated but now growing wild
- n the discharge of a fluid from some container
they tried to stop the escape of gas from the damaged pipe
- n a valve in a container in which pressure can build up (as a steam boiler); it opens automatically when the pressure reaches a dangerous level
- v run away from confinement
The convicted murderer escaped from a high security prison
- v fail to experience
- v escape potentially unpleasant consequences; get away with a forbidden action
- v be incomprehensible to; escape understanding by
- v remove oneself from a familiar environment, usually for pleasure or diversion
We escaped to our summer house for a few days
- v flee; take to one's heels; cut and run
The burglars escaped before the police showed up
- v issue or leak, as from a small opening
Gas escaped into the bedroom
- Michel's latest escape, his fourth since 1973, was at least as spectacular as his 1979 caper, in which he made a getaway after holding up an entire courtroom with a fake gun that .
- Did you try to escape? I had watched my sister make an attempt to try to get out of an arranged marriage.
- The last escape from the forensic unit occurred in 1992, he said.
News & Articles
- Oglebay Great Escape
You could win an overnight Great Escape for your family this summer to Oglebay Resort! It’s really easy to do...
June 14, 2013 - FOX 8 Cleveland
- 'Escape Tunnel' Found at Nazi Death Camp
Traces of an escape tunnel have been uncovered at the site of an infamous Nazi death camp in Poland, according to news reports.
June 13, 2013 - LiveScience.com via Yahoo! News
- Escape-ism: Is little car big enough to tow?
Dear Tom and Ray: We do a lot of city driving, but in the summer months we tow a couple of Jet Skis around behind our older Nissan Murano, and it has seemed to do the job just fine. The total weight of the Jet Skis and trailer is about 2,100 pounds. We are considering replacing the Murano with a 2013 Ford Escape with the 2.0-liter, EcoBoost engine. The 2013 Escape claims a towing capacity of 3 ...
June 13, 2013 - The Hook
- Chief Joseph in FOXNews
Police Chief Joseph Zikuski said the gunman parked his car against the back door, "making sure nobody could escape," then stormed through the front, shooting two receptionists, apparently without a word.
- David Laws in Independent
Mr Laws said: "I do not see how I can carry out my crucial work on the Budget and spending review while I have to deal with the private and public implications of recent revelations. I cannot escape the conclusion that what I did was somehow wrong."
- Lenny Kravitz in New York Daily News
Kravitz said references to him as an adulterer were "extremely hurtful," adding that Cynthia came to stay at his home "to escape from everything happening in New York City."