- n an informal expression for a mildly depressed state
in the dumps
- n a coarse term for defecation
- n a piece of land where waste materials are dumped
- n (computer science) a copy of the contents of a computer storage device; sometimes used in debugging programs
- n a place where supplies can be stored
- v throw away as refuse
- v sever all ties with, usually unceremoniously or irresponsibly
- v sell at artificially low prices
- v drop (stuff) in a heap or mass
- v fall abruptly
- v knock down with force
- California's reputation as a trendsetter has been enhanced: while most states fight to keep nuclear-waste dumps out, three Mojave Desert towns are fighting to get one.
- Britain's Atomic Energy Authority told last week what it is doing with the radioactive wastes from its nuclear reactors: it dumps the worrisome stuff into the ocean 200 miles .
- Last month Manhattan's Tammany Hall was down in the dumps.
News & Articles
- Get outta town: 3 quick ideas for your weekend (June 14-16)
It’s Father’s Day on Sunday. Is Dad a little down in the dumps about lawn mowing and gutter cleaning? Does he just need to get out of the house for an out-of-town getaway? Here are some ideas for this weekend. GO NORTH Got a young dad who needs to stretch his legs? I mean, really
June 13, 2013 - Seattle Times
- Winmill Transportation, an established oil field service provider, is looking
Winmill Transportation, an established oil field service provider, is looking for class A drivers to operate belly dumps and water tankers in western North Dakota. Housing available. Flexible home time. Must pass DOT drug test. Pay D.O.E Please call Dan @ 218-766-3113
June 12, 2013 - Grand Rapids Herald-Review
- Dropping in at Dumps
A surfer pulls into a wave at the Ahihi-Kinau surf spot called “Dumps” on Thursday morning. Last week’s south swell has dropped.
June 10, 2013 - The Maui News
- Andre Agassi in The Inquisitr
Slim dumps a small pile of powder on the coffee table. He cuts it, snorts it. He cuts it again. I snort some. I ease back on the couch and consider the Rubicon I've just crossedAgassi writes. "There is a moment of regret, followed by vast...
- Barack Obama in International Herald Tribune
A smidgen of good news and suddenly everything is doing great. A little bit of bad news and ooohh , we're down on the dumps,Obama said. "And I am obviously an object of this constantly varying assessment. I am the object in chief of this...
- Larry Jones in The Canadian Press
He's pretty down in the dumps about things right now,Larry Jones said. "He talked to me about it three or four months ago, and I told him, 'Don't make a decision based on how you feel right now. Give it a chance.' But I'm running out of...