- n people who are no longer living
they buried the dead
- n a time when coldness (or some other quality associated with death) is intense
the dead of winter
- a no longer having or seeming to have or expecting to have life
the nerve is dead
a dead pallor
he was marked as a dead man by the assassin
- a not showing characteristics of life especially the capacity to sustain life; no longer exerting force or having energy or heat
Mars is a dead planet
the fire is dead
- s very tired
I'm dead after that long trip
- s unerringly accurate
a dead shot
took dead aim
- s physically inactive
Crater Lake is in the crater of a dead volcano of the Cascade Range
- s (followed by `to') not showing human feeling or sensitivity; unresponsive
passersby were dead to our plea for help
- s devoid of physical sensation; numb
his gums were dead from the novocain
she felt no discomfort as the dentist drilled her deadened tooth
- s lacking acoustic resonance
dead sounds characteristic of some compact discs
the dead wall surfaces of a recording studio
- s not yielding a return
- s not circulating or flowing
- s not surviving in active use
Latin is a dead language
- s lacking resilience or bounce
a dead tennis ball
- s out of use or operation because of a fault or breakdown
a dead telephone line
the motor is dead
- s no longer having force or relevance
a dead issue
- s complete
came to a dead stop
- s drained of electric charge; discharged
a dead battery
- s devoid of activity; nothing ever happens here"
this is a dead town
- r quickly and without warning
- r completely and without qualification; used informally as intensifiers
you can be dead sure of my innocence
was dead tired
- Clairvoyants who claim to communicate with the dead--and warnings not to listen to them--go back at least as far as the Old Testament, yet psychics continue to flourish in back .
- It is liberating, however, to finally shed the dead weight of Grassley's know-nothingism and cowardice.
- Scientists say the number of coastal dead zones has doubled since 2006, to the detriment of already troubled fisheries.
News & Articles
- Dead Man Found In Wheel Well After Seven Flights
A dead man was found in a wheel well after seven flights. The man apparently stowed away in the wheel well of an iFly Airbus A330-300. The dead and frozen stowaway was discovered at Moscow’s Vnukovo Airport, when a crew member saw blood on the landing gear. Upon further inspection, the crew member found the [...] Dead Man Found In Wheel Well After Seven Flights is a post from: The Inquisitr
June 13, 2013 - The Inquisitr
- 'Dead Rising 3' brings mad, mad, mad undead world to Xbox One
The new generation of gaming seems to be largely composed of open-world zombie adventures, but "Dead Rising 3" — the latest installment in the weird, darkly humorous zombie-smashing hit — arrested our attention because of its eye-popping graphics and gamer pedigree.Apparently grim tone, at odds with the silliness for which the franchise is known, is just a "veneer of seriousness," say its ...
June 12, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Dead Rising 3 Kinect and Smartglass integration detailed
Dead Rising 3 's optional use of the Xbox One's mandatory Kinect gifts its zombies with a level of situational awareness you may not want them to have, truth be told. "They can hear," a Capcom representative told us during a demonstration at E3. "If you want to call a zombie or distract [a zombie], you just yell at your Kinect and they'll respond to you." Sounds useful in a stealth situation ...
June 12, 2013 - Joystiq
- Barack Obama in Boston Globe
Violence is a dead end,Obama said. "It is a sign of neither courage nor power to shoot rockets at sleeping children, or to blow up old women on a bus. That is not how moral authority is claimed; that is how it is surrendered."
- Kevin Rudd in Independent Online
Hell in all its fury has visited the good people of Victoria in the last 24 hours. Many good people lie dead, many injured,Rudd said, deploying army units to help 3 000 firefighters battling the flames.
- Kenny G in The Associated Press
Kenny G says if the Internet is dead "then I must be dead, too, 'cause I use it all the time."