- v run or move very quickly or hastily
She dashed into the yard
- v break into pieces, as by striking or knocking over
- v hurl or thrust violently
He dashed the plate against the wall
- v destroy or break
dashed ambitions and hopes
- v cause to lose courage
dashed by the refusal
- v add an enlivening or altering element to
blue paint dashed with white
- s having gaps or spaces
- Just three weeks ago, their long-sought goal of repeal seemed within reach, but Katrina dashed their hopes when Republican leaders put off an expected vote.
- With the Japanese surrender in 1945, his dreams of empire were dashed, and the chastened Emperor was trundled off by advancing Soviet troops to the Russian Far East, where he spent .
- The bombing holds a special place in civil rights history not only because of its brutality and the youth of its victims, but also because it so bitterly dashed the hopes for .
News & Articles
- Next up for Redskins' RG3: rehab during honeymoon
After showing that he can now do "explosive sprinting" — his dreadlocks flowing behind him as he dashed from sideline to sideline in the end zone of the Washington Redskins practice bubble — Robert Griffin III then held a news conference that referenced LeBron James, Tim Tebow and "Bridezillas.
June 13, 2013 - WPXI Pittsburgh
- Salem woman injured in 2009 Green Line crash awarded $580,000; but medical bills still mount, family says
For the past two years, Samantha Mattei’s family has hoped for a multimillion-dollar award in their suit against the MBTA to pay the burgeoning medical costs she has incurred since suffering a brain injury in a 2009 Green Line trolley crash — but their hopes were dashed Monday. Mattei, a 23-year-old Salem resident who was studying mathematics at Merrimack College, was one of several passengers ...
June 12, 2013 - Boston Globe
- South Korea calling, but North pretends that nobody is home
North Korea's refusal to take South Korea's phone calls has dashed hopes for proposed peace talks.
June 12, 2013 - The Christian Science Monitor
- Bernard Kouchner in USA Today
We are waiting ......for the Russians to respect their word,Kouchner told reporters in Paris. "We waited twice with dashed hopes. This time, it appears that there is at least the beginning of a fulfillment."
- Vitaly Churkin in Washington Post
Asked later how the action squared with UN Security Council resolutions supported by Russia affirming Georgia's territorial integrity, Churkin said: "Their use of force against South Ossetia clearly dashed all of those previous resolutions and...
- Tony Blair in International Herald Tribune
This may be the day on which, finally, after all these false dawns and dashed hopes, peace replaced war, politics replaces terror on the island of Ireland,Prime Minister Tony Blair said in a televised statement in London.