- n a sudden very loud noise
- n a common venereal disease caused by the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoeae; symptoms are painful urination and pain around the urethra
- n a sharp abrupt noise as if two objects hit together; may be repeated
- v put quickly or forcibly
The judge clapped him in jail
- v cause to strike the air in flight
The big bird clapped its wings
- v clap one's hands or shout after performances to indicate approval
- v clap one's hands together
The children were clapping to the music
- v strike the air in flight
the wings of the birds clapped loudly
- v strike with the flat of the hand; usually in a friendly way, as in encouragement or greeting
- v strike together so as to produce a sharp percussive noise
clap two boards together
News & Articles
- Roberto Cavalli Responds to Beyoncé Sketch Criticism
Designer Roberto Cavalli caught the online clap back after sketches of a dress specifically designed for Beyoncé were posted online . More »
June 14, 2013 - Gossip on This!
- LSU coach Les Miles' children send out Father's Day video card to their dad: Video
The Miles children, from left Manny, Smacker, Ben and Macy, say Happy Father's Day in advance. It was their idea to use Miles' patented flat-palms, fingers-spread hand clap, showing the sense of humor, security and love in the household. Be sure to read the story to come later today.
June 14, 2013 - New Orleans Times-Picayune
- Relay brings family-friendly fun
Survivors clap in unison to applaud their victories over cancer. About 65 teams participated. The Relay For Life of Taney and Stone Counties has currently raised $117,573.51 and has a goal to raise a total of $175,000 by the end of the year.
June 11, 2013 - Branson Tri-Lakes News
- Mike Montgomery in International Herald Tribune
I hope I go to the right bench,Montgomery said. "I don't know if the seats are different. They might have electric shock currents. ...... They may have a dilemma. They may be stuck between how long to boo or you may get a courtesy clap and...
- Calipari in International Herald Tribune
I think 40 years from now they'll still be the winningest players in the history of college basketball. All three will graduate in May, on time, in four years. You can clap. I'm serious. You can clap,Calipari said.
- George Beverly Shea in International Herald Tribune
What I do is old-fashioned,Shea said. "It's the guitar these days. When they sing at Mr. Graham's meetings, it's pretty exciting. People clap, you know? So they look for me to come up before the message and sort of quiet them down."