eruption : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the sudden occurrence of a violent discharge of steam and volcanic material
- n symptom consisting of a breaking out and becoming visible
- n (of volcanos) pouring out fumes or lava (or a deposit so formed)
- n a sudden violent spontaneous occurrence (usually of some undesirable condition)
- n a sudden very loud noise
- n the emergence of a tooth as it breaks through the gum
- The 1883 eruption of Indonesia's Krakatoa led to a global cooling and the deadly winter of 1886-87 that wiped out the short-lived open-range cattle bonanza of Montana Territory.
- An eruption is usually episodic there's some activity, then a pause.
- On June 17, Mount Etna, in Sicily, after several days of increased activity, burst into violent eruption.
News & Articles
- Humans not in South Asia before major eruption
By Tia GhoseLiveScienceHumans didn't enter the Indian subcontinent until after the massive eruption of Mount Toba in Sumatra nearly 75,000 years ago, new research suggests — overturning a previous idea that humans arrived much earlier.The research, published Monday in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, used a combination of archaeological and genetic data to suggest a ...
June 11, 2013 - MSNBC
- Modern humans did not settle in Asia before eruption of Sumatra volcano 74,000 years ago, study finds
When did modern humans settle in Asia and what route did they take from humankind's African homeland? New research refutes a recent theory that there is archaeological evidence for the presence of modern humans in southern Asia before the super-eruption of the Mount Toba volcano in Sumatra.
June 11, 2013 - Science Daily
- Humans Reached South Asia After Major Eruption
Humans didn't enter the Indian subcontinent until after the massive eruption of Mount Toba in Sumatra nearly 75,000 years ago, new research suggests — overturning a previous idea that humans arrived much earlier.
June 10, 2013 - LiveScience.com via Yahoo! News
- Bobby Jindal in TIME
Instead of monitoring volcanoes, what Congress should be monitoring is the eruption of spending in Washington,Jindal said, deriding the $140 million appropriated to the US Geological Survey (USGS) for "something called...
- James Hansen in HULIQ
It is unlikely that 2008 will be a year with truly exceptional global mean temperature,said Hansen. "Barring a large volcanic eruption, a record global temperature clearly exceeding that of 2005 can be expected within the next few years,...
- Mike Scioscia in Sports Network
So, that matter is not essentially a police matter. The police only come afterwards, when there is already an eruption...... they are reacting rather than pro-acting. What needs to happen rather is the communities should understand the political... Charles Nqakula http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Nqakula&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGfhG4aJW0VjgT7A9GA44q3bfYxHw Independent Online http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.iol.co.za/index.php%3Fset_id%3D1%26click_id%3D15%26art_id%3Dnw20080513122657105C648757&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGDhr7va2Ndr8i1kJbLCcdPz_icKg May 13, 2008
34039 43487 erving Erving was on the edge the whole night," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "He looked like he was going to settle down and at least get us to a certain part of a ball game. His command was the issue tonight. This is about as wild as we've...