- v prepare (oneself) for something unpleasant or difficult
- v support or hold steady and make steadfast, with or as if with a brace
- v support by bracing
- v cause to be alert and energetic
- s positioned so as to be ready for confrontation or danger
he stood to attention with his shoulders braced
- s held up by braces or buttresses
- A PTI photo essay on September 13 - 19: As America braced for Hurricane Isabel, other regions witnessed their own disasters, both natural and man-made.
- With his left arm, Ted Kennedy leaned on a metal cane; with his right, he was braced by his old pal Orrin Hatch.
- Indeed, Dutch politicians had braced themselves for the worst, putting the country on a higher alert and warning other European Union members about possible backlashes.
News & Articles
- Flood damages come in with more rain possible
Southeast Minnesota and west central Wisconsin residents braced themselves Tuesday as the last round of showers and thunderstorms passed through.
June 25, 2013 - La Crosse Tribune
- Flood victims to get $1 billion in aid
As record flood waters receded in parts of southern Alberta, Canada, residents in another section of the province braced for the wrath the raging waters would bring.
June 25, 2013 - CNN
- Asian shares drift lower, focus on China liquidity
By Chikako Mogi TOKYO (Reuters) - Asian shares slipped further on Tuesday and investors braced for more volatility in Chinese markets as worries spread that tight liquidity could impede China's economic ...
June 25, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! Finance
- John Amaechi in SI.com
I underestimated America. I braced myself for the wrath of a nation under God,Amaechi said at the Log Cabin Republicans' annual convention.
- Tom Izzo in International Herald Tribune
You don't want to go underneath the boards not braced,said Izzo, the Michigan State coach who recruits only men's men to East Lansing. "I told my guys, low man is going to win. You better be ready to be banged around. I don't think...
- Brad Childress in Sports Network
I'm told that's a good healing ligament,Childress added. "If it was a lineman they would be braced up and play, maybe. We'll reserve judgment on what's appropriate for that at the time. Everybody heals differently."