- n an authoritative direction or instruction to do something
- n a request to be present
they came at his bidding
- n (bridge) the number of tricks a bridge player is willing to contract to make
- v propose a payment
- v invoke upon
- v ask for or request earnestly
- v make a demand, as for a card or a suit or a show of hands
- v make a serious effort to attain something
- v ask someone in a friendly way to do something
- Competitive bidding for new security issues, which ICC 13 years ago made mandatory for equipment trusts and which is routine in municipal financing, generally yields issuers .
- Environmental activist Tim DeChristopher tainted an auction of oil and gas drilling leases by bidding up parcels of land by hundreds of thousands of dollars without any intention .
- Exactly a month before the final vote, all four cities bidding for the 2016 Olympics received a mix of praise and criticism Monday in an IOC report assessing their technical merits.
- Barack Obama in ABC News
We can't afford to settle for a Washington where our energy policy, and our health care policy, and our tax policy is sold to the highest-bidding lobbyist,Obama said, and criticized Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Sen. Hillary Clinton, DN.Y.,...
- Jacob Zuma in Sportinglife.com
Zuma told FIFA's website: "This has proved to the world that we are capable of hosting any international event, we have the resources and infrastructure. People are already talking about a possibility of bidding for major events and we are...
- Ben Buckley in The Daily Maverick
The FFA is completely transparent in its dealings with government and has provided all information regarding the bidding process requested by government,Buckley told the newspaper.