- n an authoritative direction or instruction to do something
- n a military unit or region under the control of a single officer
- n the power or authority to command
an admiral in command
- n availability for use
the materials at the command of the potters grew
- n a position of highest authority
the corporation has just undergone a change in command
- n great skillfulness and knowledge of some subject or activity
a good command of French
- n (computer science) a line of code written as part of a computer program
- v be in command of
The general commanded a huge army
- v make someone do something
- v demand as one's due
This speaker commands a high fee
The author commands a fair hearing from his readers
- v look down on
- v exercise authoritative control or power over
News & Articles
- Strike zone command key for minor-league pitchers
The most difficult task for young pitchers is to have command of the strike zone, and failure to do so keeps so many in the minor leagues.
June 16, 2013 - The Philadelphia Inquirer
- Command change Monday on post
FORT HUACHUCA — The U.S. Army Medical Department Activity will host a change of command ceremony 7:30 a.m., June 19, on Brown Parade Field, at the post. The public is invited to join Fort Huachuca in celebrating this colorful military tradition. The current commander Col. William Moran will pass command to incoming commander Col. Lance Raney. read more
June 15, 2013 - The Sierra Vista Herald
- Command & Conquer being developed 'as a live service'
Victory Games' Command & Conquer , built on EA and DICE's Frostbite engine, is launching as a free-to-play game later this year through Origin. Tim Morten, development director, says that while Command & Conquer will require an internet connection, it makes for a more nimble game that can be updated far more frequently than a traditional retail product. With SimCity still fresh on everyone's ...
June 13, 2013 - Joystiq
- Liam Fox in TODAYonline
...troops will hand over control of violence-wracked Sangin in south Afghanistan to American forces by the end of the year, Defence Secretary Liam Fox said: "This will simplify current command arrangements and enable British troops to be...
- Gen James L Jones in Newsweek
At that time General Jones-the "clown"-issued a public rebuke, saying that "it is better for military advice to come up through the chain of command."
- Haley Barbour in BusinessWeek
While command and control of on-water resources has improved, it must get much better and the amount of resources to attack the oil offshore must be greatly increased,Barbour said in an e-mailed statement.