- v reveal unintentionally
Her smile betrayed her true feelings
- v deliver to an enemy by treachery
The spy betrayed his country
- v disappoint, prove undependable to; abandon, forsake
- v be sexually unfaithful to one's partner in marriage
- v give away information about somebody
- v cause someone to believe an untruth
- This doomed pair, plus a lively cast of romantically reckless expatriates, head to Pamplona for the annual fiesta, where they drink vast amounts of wine, hook up, betray one .
- You could argue that since the verb betray and the noun traitor have the same root, the ad is accusing the head of American forces in Iraq of treason.
- No less than Henry James, Allen is judgmental of Americans abroad they betray a sexual navet when exposed to a society so much more practiced in the art of gracious loving.
News & Articles
- Making treason cool
Forget skinny ties and retro hats: The surest way to attain super-cool status (and fame) today is to betray your country. The impossibly self-important NSA contractor, Edward Snowden, who “exposed” two vital intelligence programs, isn’t a leftie Paul Revere. He’s Kim Kardashian with stubble. He revealed very highly...
June 11, 2013 - New York Post
- Robert Redford Calls on President to Fight Climate Change Now with Limits on Power Plant Carbon Pollution
WASHINGTON, June 11, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In a new multimedia campaign, Robert Redford is challenging President Obama to act now on climate change by reining in carbon pollution from the nation's biggest source, coal-fired power plants."Four months ago, President Obama spoke of our obligation to combat climate change, saying failure to do so would betray our children and future ...
June 11, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! News
- Pope Benedict XVI in Scopical
It is difficult for me to understand how it was possible that priests betray in this way their mission...... to these children,the Pope said en-route to the United States. "I am deeply ashamed and we will do what is possible so this cannot...
- Andrew Cuomo in Marketplace (blog)
Students trust their university's athletic departments because so much of campus life at Division I schools centers around supporting the home team,said Cuomo. "To betray this trust by promoting loans in exchange for money is a serious...
- John McCain in WRCB-TV
At no time have I ever done anything to betray the public trust nor make a decision which in any way would not be in the public interest or would favor anyone or any organization,said McCain.