freeze freeze /f ˈriz/
- (n) the withdrawal of heat to change something from a liquid to a solid
- (n) weather cold enough to cause freezing
- (n) an interruption or temporary suspension of progress or movement
- (n) fixing (of prices or wages etc) at a particular level
- (v) stop moving or become immobilized
- (v) change to ice
- (v) be cold
- (v) cause to freeze
- (v) stop a process or a habit by imposing a freeze on it
- (v) be very cold, below the freezing point
- (v) change from a liquid to a solid when cold
- (v) prohibit the conversion or use of (assets)
- (v) anesthetize by cold
- (v) suddenly behave coldly and formally
- The Bush Administration's mortgage rate freeze sounds like a life raft for strapped homeowners, but it may do more harm than good.
- Instead, Netanyahu offered a partial and time-limited freeze and appeared to force the President of the United States to back down.
- If the wage and price freeze has done anything for the American character, it has unleashed a streak of latent vigilantism.
- A hiring freeze on civilian defense workers at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard is being eased.on June 15, 2013 Source: Seattle Times
- By Deepa Seetharaman DETROIT (Reuters) - Chrysler Group LLC, the U.S. automaker controlled by Italy's Fiat, will freeze its U.S. pension plans for some 8,000 white-collar workers hired before 2004 on December 31. Those employees will be shifted to a plan similar to a 401(k) that is offered to salaried workers hired over the last decade, the third-largest U.S. automaker said on Friday. The move ...on June 14, 2013 Source: Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Delanie Freeze of Community National Bank and Olivia Brynds of Evans Motors engaged in a pitchers’ duel for most of their Pittsburg Fast Pitch Association Junior League contest Thursday night at the PSU Softball Complex. Freeze and Brynds combined to allow one hit over the first two full innings and combined for 10 strikeouts, five apiece. Brynds and Freeze each struck out the side in the second ...on June 14, 2013 Source: The Morning Sun
- "It took a while for the credit system to freeze up; it's going to take a while for the credit system to thaw," Bush said in a speech in Washington to the US Chamber of Commerce, the world's biggest business federation representing more than 3...on Oct 17, 2008 By: President Bush Source: Bloomberg
- "During this period of economic emergency, families are tightening their belts, and so should Washington," Mr. Obama said. "That's why I am instituting a pay freeze on the salaries of my senior White House staff. Some of the people in this...on Jan 22, 2009 By: Barack Obama Source: Financial Post
- "We will be imposing a freeze on all other official bilateral business with Iran until this situation is resolved," Beckett said in a statement in the House of Commons.on Mar 28, 2007 By: Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett Source: Xinhua