- n the act of cleaning with a broom
- v sweep across or over
- v move with sweeping, effortless, gliding motions
- v sweep with a broom or as if with a broom
- v force into some kind of situation, condition, or course of action
- v to cover or extend over an area or time period
- v clean by sweeping
- v win an overwhelming victory in or on
- v cover the entire range of
- v make a big sweeping gesture or movement
- s taking in or moving over (or as if over) a wide area; often used in combination
a sweeping glance
a wide-sweeping view of the river
- s ignoring distinctions
- House lawmakers want to pry open the books of the famously secretive Federal Reserve with legislation that would subject the central bank to a sweeping congressional audit.
- Amid these bold attempts at reform there was one sweeping revolution: the drastic political and social overhaul of Venezuela beginning under President Hugo Chvez Fras, 45.
- Ma, a Harvard Law School graduate, is proposing that China and Taiwan set aside the ideological differences at the heart of their conflict and engage in a sweeping program of .
News & Articles
- With Violent Crime on the Increase are you Concerned About the Safety of Yourself and Others?
BIRMINGHAM, England, June 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Defence Lab is the newest phenomenon sweeping the UK and is being hailed as the most effective self-defence system known to man. Our leading experts ...
June 30, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Rousseff's popularity plummets in wake of Brazil protests
By Silvio Cascione and Todd Benson SAO PAULO (Reuters) - President Dilma Rousseff's approval rating sank by 27 percentage points in the last three weeks, a poll showed on Saturday in the strongest evidence yet that the recent wave of street protests sweeping Brazil poses a serious threat to her likely re-election bid next year. The share of people who consider Rousseff's administration "great ...
June 29, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Sweeping new anti-immigrant measure passes in Arizona
Arizona lawmakers approved the most sweeping measure in the nation against illegal immigrants Tuesday, directing local police to now also become immigration officers, making the determination as to whether people are in the country legally or not a critical part of their daily brief.
June 28, 2013 - Irish Central
- Ban Ki-moon in FOXNews
The potential impact of global warming is "so severe and so sweeping that only urgent, global action will do," Ban told the IPCC after it issued its fourth and final report this year.
- Barack Obama in Smart Company Blogs (blog)
My administration is proposing a sweeping overhaul of the financial regulatory system, a transformation on a scale not seen since the reforms that followed the Great Depression,Obama said in a speech.
- Jim McNerney in Lexington Herald Leader
This is a landmark decision and sweeping legal victory over the launch aid subsidies that fueled the rise of Airbus and that continue to provide its products a major cost advantage,said McNerney in a statement.