- n the complete duration of something
the job was finished in the span of an hour
- n the distance or interval between two points
- n two items of the same kind
- n a unit of length based on the width of the expanded human hand (usually taken as 9 inches)
- n a structure that allows people or vehicles to cross an obstacle such as a river or canal or railway etc.
- n the act of sitting or standing astride
- v to cover or extend over an area or time period
Rivers traverse the valley floor", "The parking lot spans 3 acres
The novel spans three centuries
- My attantion span has lengthened, I've got to those books I wanted to read and best of all, I can still get my C-SPAN--all 3 channels and the radio broadcast.
- Most hard clams, like the one featured here, have an average life span of just four to eight years.
- In that span of timethe period during which climatologists have been warning that greenhouse gases are steadily raising atmospheric and ocean temperaturesthe power of the .
News & Articles
- Span hurt after fouling ball off his right foot
Nationals center fielder Denard Span injured his right foot for the third time this season during Washington's 2-0 loss to the Indians on Sunday afternoon.
June 17, 2013 - Washington Nationals
- Bay Bridge contractor in line for bonus if new span opens on time
OAKLAND -- The contractor building the Bay Bridge's iconic suspension span will collect a $20 million bonus if it opens to traffic as planned on Sept. 3 -- an incentive state lawmakers fear will drive a risky rush to completion.
June 16, 2013 - The Milpitas Post
- C-SPAN bus visits Colonial Williamsburg on Saturday
WILLIAMSBURG – Colonial Williamsburg visitors will have the opportunity to learn about C-SPAN’s programs and resources on Saturday by stepping aboard the C-SPAN Bus during a stop on its tour promoting a new original series about the first ladies.
June 13, 2013 - The Virginia Gazette
- Barack Obama in New York Times
Today, I say to you that the challenges we face are real,Mr. Obama said in the address, delivered from the west front of the Capitol. "They are serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know...
- Pat Riley in The Associated Press
This is a very fluid process,Heat president Pat Riley said. "We've had five meetings across the country in the span of 40 hours. We will continue with the process. It's still early in free agency, but we feel very good with how our...