- n a wide scope
the sweep of the plains
- n someone who cleans soot from chimneys
- n winning all or all but one of the tricks in bridge
- n a long oar used in an open boat
- n (American football) an attempt to advance the ball by running around the end of the line
- n a movement in an arc
a sweep of his arm
- v sweep across or over
- v move with sweeping, effortless, gliding motions
- v sweep with a broom or as if with a broom
- v force into some kind of situation, condition, or course of action
- v to cover or extend over an area or time period
- v clean by sweeping
Please sweep the floor
- v win an overwhelming victory in or on
- v cover the entire range of
- v make a big sweeping gesture or movement
- Oliver Clothesoff?") and speaking like a Cockney chimney sweep.
- She raucously engages both the broad sweep of the big picture and the eloquence of the telling detail.
- It did not speak with the historic sweep of the California court, perhaps because the justices there know Iowa's court is less often seen as a harbinger of legal trends than .
News & Articles
- Minors sweep SW Shockers
The Enid Minors used strong pitching performances from Garrett Dimmitt and Matt Mills to sweep a Les Beckham League doubleheader from the Southwest S
June 12, 2013 - The Enid News & Eagle
- Padres look to complete sweep behind Volquez
The Padres look to complete a rare sweep of the Braves with Edinson Volquez on the mound while the Braves counter with lefty Paul Maholm, who is looking for his eighth victory.
June 12, 2013 - San Diego Padres
- River Sweep set for Saturday in Clark County
The 2013 River Sweep kicks off this Saturday, and the Kentucky River Authority plans to clean up around Boonesboro State Park beach.
June 11, 2013 - The Winchester Sun
- Barack Obama in KTVN
As I reflect on the full sweep of 92 years, it seems to me that his life bent toward justice,Obama said. "Robert Byrd possessed that quintessential American quality. That is a capacity to change, a capacity to learn, a capacity to listen,...
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in The Age
We are going to sweep across Texas in the next three weeks bringing our message about what we need in America, the kind of president we need on day one to be commander-in-chief and turn the economy around,Senator Clinton said at a rally in El...
- Conan O Brien in The Associated Press
This is the only way I can sing Thom Yorke songs, as a 19th-century chimney sweep with a top hat and a smudge on my cheek,O'Brien said.