- v attain success or reach a desired goal
The enterprise succeeded
We succeeded in getting tickets to the show
- v be the successor (of)
Will Charles succeed to the throne?
- He said that the surge couldn't succeed.
- The highly subtle contest to succeed the Pope is under way 3262001 Rome's Next Choice? Arch-conservative Cardinal Ratzinger emerges as a possible successor to .
- Designers succeed because she anoints them.
- David Villa in Financial News USA (press release)
The disappointment is very big. We had a lot as our goal and we didn't succeed.For the Spanish, it's everything they've been working for these last four years.We worked hard to get here and now we have made the final,Villa said. "It's a...
- Philipp Lahm in The Associated Press
Right now, I really don't feel like playing for third place,captain Philipp Lahm said. "The disappointment is very big. We had a lot as our goal and we didn't succeed."
- Barack Obama in istockAnalyst.com (press release)
The only way this transition will succeed is if it strengthens our economy in the short term and the long run,Obama said. "To fail to recognize this reality would be a mistake."