- n a category of things distinguished by some common characteristic or quality
- n an approximate definition or example
she wore a sort of magenta dress
she served a creamy sort of dessert thing
- n a person of a particular character or nature
what sort of person is he?
he's a good sort
- n an operation that segregates items into groups according to a specified criterion
the bottleneck in mail delivery is the process of sorting
- v examine in order to test suitability
- v arrange or order by classes or categories
- He's a sort of a combination of man and child.
- Through my military years, I sort of lost touch with the religion.
- He's in some sort've performance group, EXTREME performance group.
News & Articles
- Jeb Bush Says Immigrants Are 'More Fertile,' Twitter Gets Mad
It's hard to give a speech nowadays without starting some sort of a Twitter war. This morning, at the Faith and Freedom Coalition conference in Washington, it was Jeb Bush's odd way of talking about immigrants' ability to procreate.
June 14, 2013 - National Journal via Yahoo! News
- Who Is Ryan Seacrest's Mystery Woman?
It seems that Ryan Seacrest has gotten over his breakup with Dancing with the Stars vet Julianne Hough. He was seen out recently with another human female, at some sort of concert or something in Los Angeles. Well, he was apparently "overheard" saying he is "single and loving it," but no one has actually ever said "single and loving it" so we're just going to have to chalk that up to Page Six ...
June 14, 2013 - The Atlantic Wire via Yahoo! News
- White People Problems: Census Finds More Whites Are Dying Than Being Born
If you are the sort of person who is deeply worried about the shifting racial demographics of the United States (i.e., a racist), a bit of a reality check: It is partly your fault. Last year, for apparently the first time, more non-Hispanic white people died than were born. Other trends confirmed by the Census compilation of population estimates for the year 2012 were expected: the U.S ...
June 13, 2013 - The Atlantic Wire via Yahoo! News
- Barack Obama in New York Times
You know, the stock market is sort of like a tracking poll in politics,Mr. Obama said. "It bobs up and down day to day, and if you spend all your time worrying about that, then you're probably going to get the long-term strategy wrong."
- Lindsay Lohan in Boston Globe
I did do everything I was told to do and did the best I could to balance jobs and showing up,Lohan told the judge. "It wasn't vacation, it wasn't some sort of a joke."
- Sarah Palin in USA Today
I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a community organizer - except that you have actual responsibilities,said Palin, once the mayor of Wasilla, Alaska.