slack : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n dust consisting of a mixture of small coal fragments and coal dust and dirt that sifts out when coal is passed over a sieve
- n a noticeable deterioration in performance or quality
a gradual slack in output
- n a stretch of water without current or movement
suddenly they were in a slack and the water was motionless
- n a soft wet area of low-lying land that sinks underfoot
- n the quality of being loose (not taut)
he hadn't counted on the slackness of the rope
- n a cord or rope or cable that is hanging loosely
he took up the slack
- v avoid responsibilities and work, be idle
- v be inattentive to, or neglect
He slacks his attention
- v release tension on
slack the rope
- v make less active or fast
He slackened his pace as he got tired
- v become slow or slower
- v make less active or intense
- v become less in amount or intensity
- v cause to heat and crumble by treatment with water
- s not tense or taut
slack and wrinkled skin
a slack rope
- s flowing with little speed as e.g. at the turning of the tide
- s lacking in rigor or strictness
slack in maintaining discipline
- When "directional pressure" is applied, the bb's flatten, and slack muscles snap back, their strength restored.
- In fact, Lennon originally learned to play his guitar like a banjo, with the sixth string slack.
- Updated through 1997, the audit shows that the ladies have picked up some slack, earning an average annual return of 15.
News & Articles
- WorkZone: Highest performers may be doing the worst work
That might be because managers are burning out their highest performing employees by making them pick up the slack for lower performers.
June 16, 2013 - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Are Credit Unions Saying No to More Small Businesses?
During the Great Recession, banks battered by the financial crisis lent less to small businesses. Credit unions picked up some of the slack, using comparatively strong financial health to fill the demand for small business loans.
June 15, 2013 - BusinessWeek
- Noted Trial Lawyer Mark D. Pierce Named Newest Partner of National Firm Slack & Davis
AUSTIN, Texas, June 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Slack & Davis L.L.P ., with offices in Austin, Dallas and Fort Worth and a national practice handling personal injury and wrongful death cases, has announced ...
June 13, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Roy Blunt in Seattle Post Intelligencer
Blunt, who will play a leading role in the debate, warned: "This could cause your employer to simply stop offering coverage, hoping the government will pick up the slack."
- Edmund Hillary in USA Today
We drew closer together as Tenzing brought in the slack on the rope. I continued cutting a line of steps upwards. Next moment I had moved onto a flattish exposed area of snow with nothing by space in every direction,Hillary wrote. "Tenzing...
- Sandra Bullock in MTV.com (blog)
I am beyond stunned,Bullock said in a statement. "Just to be included in the company of these amazing women I have so admired thru the years, has left me slack jawed with awe. It is TRULY an honor just to be nominated by the Hollywood...