- n a soft wet area of low-lying land that sinks underfoot
- n deep soft mud in water or slush
- n a difficulty or embarrassment that is hard to extricate yourself from
the country is still trying to climb out of the mire left by its previous president
caught in the mire of poverty
- v entrap
Our people should not be mired in the past
- v cause to get stuck as if in a mire
The mud mired our cart
- v be unable to move further
- v soil with mud, muck, or mire
- The Board of Education of the nation's largest and sickest school system last week was awash in a mire of corruption and politics.
- That night too, less than 500 yards from Junon, the Communist infantrymen burrowed close in through the mire.
- Chicago's mayoral race goes down to the wire, and the mire There may be other issues in the Chicago election in addition to the fact that Democrat Harold Washington, 60,.
News & Articles
- Lafayette school board to begin bus driver Mire's disciplinary process
The disciplinary process for a Lafayette school bus driver who has been on paid leave for nearly four years will begin tomorrow when the Lafayette Parish School Board sets a time for his tenure hearing. Kenny Mire, who allegedly drove his school bus route a few hours after he was arrested for OWI, will be the topic of one of two potential executive sessions about bus drivers slated for a special ...
June 18, 2013 - KATC 3 Lafayette
- Israel toughens law against anti-Palestinian vandals
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel approved new measures on Sunday against Jewish ultranationalists who vandalise Palestinian property in a drive to mire security forces in sectarian violence in the occupied West Bank. Saying they sought to avenge attacks on Jewish settlers, the vandals have torched and spray-painted Palestinian mosques and cars and chopped olive trees in so-called "Price Tag" raids ...
June 16, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Israel Toughens Laws Against Anti-Palestinian Vandals
Israel approved new measures on Sunday against Jewish ultranationalists who vandalise Palestinian property in a drive to mire security forces in sectarian violence in the occupied West Bank. Click here for the rest of the article...
June 16, 2013 - The Forward
- Alex Salmond in Scotsman
Mr Brown had claimed previously to have ended boom and bust, but Mr Salmond said today that the "country that had eliminated boom and bust" was now "expected to tumble into the economic mire".
- John Paul Stevens in The Patriot Ledger
As Justice John Paul Stevens wrote in his dissent on the Chicago ruling, "Today's decision invites an avalanche of litigation that could mire the federal courts in fine-grained determinations about which state and local regulations survive."
- Max Starks in USA Today
It wasn't a mire like it was Monday night, or a rice paddy field,Steelers left tackle Max Starks said. "It was a lot more substantial and stable, a little bit better footing."