- v take revenge for a perceived wrong
- v make a counterattack and return like for like, especially evil for evil
The Israeli army retaliated for the Hamas bombing
- The soldier and one of his comrades were beaten to death, prompting Israel to retaliate with air strikes on Palestinian Authority targets in Ramallah and Gaza City.
- If we had had the capacity to retaliate instantly, in my opinion, there would have been no Pearl Harbor.
- So far, the police and peacekeepers have been instructed not to retaliate against the protesters, who in addition to burning buildings have also looted numerous retail stores.
- Osama bin Laden in Buenos Aires Herald (registration)
We in al Qaeda organization call on God to witness that we will retaliate for the blood of ...... Abdul Rashid Ghazi and those with him against Musharraf and those who help him, and for all the pure and innocent blood,bin Laden said in the...
- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in The Canadian Press
We reserve the right to retaliate,Ahmadinejad said. "We were not interested in getting to this stage. But if some insist (on going in this direction), experience has shown that we can defend our rights. They will strongly regret any action...
- William Moschella in FOXNews
This administration has never removed a United States attorney to retaliate against them. Not once,Moschella said. "The department stands by its decision to ask these US attorneys to resign."