- n blowing tobacco smoke out into the air
they smoked up the room with their ceaseless puffing
- n an act of forcible exhalation
- v smoke and exhale strongly
- v suck in or take (air)
- v breathe noisily, as when one is exhausted
- v make proud or conceited
- v praise extravagantly
- v speak in a blustering or scornful manner
A puffing kind of man
- v to swell or cause to enlarge, "Her faced puffed up from the drugs"
- v blow hard and loudly
- The idea is that many will quit puffing away altogether.
- Weld, after huffing and puffing his way through a 5-K race in Quincy, was overheard telling a supporter as he chugged a bottle of Power-Ade, "It's a dead heat.
- Politicians dabble too Arnold Schwarzenegger is a noted fan although puffing on a Cuban can leave an eggy residue on a pol's face.
News & Articles
- Second City co-founder Bernard Sahlins dies at 90
Bernard Sahlins was for years the cigar-puffing patriarch of Chicago’s Second City comedy theater, which he co-founded in Old Town with Howard Alk and Paul Sills more than five decades ago. Launched on Dec.16, 1959, during a renaissance of American humor, The Second City — whose first incarnation was funded with $6,000 of Mr. Sahlins’ money — quickly gained national notice and was instrumental ...
June 17, 2013 - Chicago Sun-Times
- Chattanoogan.com - Chattanooga's source for breaking local news
According to a new study by the American Civil Liberties Union, whites in Tennessee are arrested (and get criminal records) due to marijuana possession less than blacks. Blacks must be puffing more weed, right? Nope. Both races use the drug at about 30 percent per year.
June 16, 2013 - The Chattanoogan
- Insight: No smoke, plenty of fire fuels e-cigarettes
By Kate Kelland and Ben Hirschler LONDON (Reuters) - Puffing on slim metal tubes loaded with pale yellow liquid, two London businessmen say they have between their lips a cure for what the U.N. calls "one of the biggest public health threats the world has ever faced". Electronic cigarettes are the future, they argue. Cheaper, cleaner and cooler than smoking, "vaping" - using a vaporizer to ...
June 13, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Boris Johnson in Ninemsn
Until that time, I imagine there are shredding machines quietly puffing and panting away in various parts of the building,Johnson said.
- Jack Layton in West Island Chronicle
No amount of huffing and puffing about more elections this coming winter is going to make people in northern Ontario forget that you sold out their (forestry) jobs,Layton said during a stop in Kenora, Ont.
- Chris Pronger in USA Today
I jumped over the boards as quick as I could. It was the best thing I could have seen. I don't know how much we had left,said Pronger. "There were a couple of guys huffing and puffing. It's not a better sight to see than that puck go in...