- n a small contrasting part of something
a patch of clouds
patches of thin ice
- n a small area of ground covered by specific vegetation
a cabbage patch
a briar patch
- n a piece of cloth used as decoration or to mend or cover a hole
- n a period of indeterminate length (usually short) marked by some action or condition
a patch of bad weather
- n a short set of commands to correct a bug in a computer program
- n a connection intended to be used for a limited time
- n sewing that repairs a worn or torn hole (especially in a garment)
- n a protective cloth covering for an injured eye
- n a piece of soft material that covers and protects an injured part of the body
- v to join or unite the pieces of
patch the skirt
- v provide with a patch; also used metaphorically
The field was patched with snow
- v mend by putting a patch on
patch a hole
- v repair by adding pieces
- Those motion-sickness patches can really help calm a churning stomach on a boat.
- Nicotine patches are hot, but they're hard to find.
- Shipments of Cabbage Patch Kids and ancillary licensed products, including a board game, storybooks, decals and patches, will reach $1 billion in 1984.
News & Articles
- Crews patch sinkhole in downtown Austin
Crews worked to patch a large sinkhole that was discovered by a cyclist Friday morning.
June 14, 2013 - FOX 7 Austin
- A patch of green brightens Broadway East
New park replacing rundown homes, easing city's storm pollution A new urban park is bringing a patch of green to a once-blighted corner of Broadway East, a project organizers hope can be a model for improving the quality of life and reducing pollution in other distressed Baltimore neighborhoods.
June 14, 2013 - Baltimore Sun
- Patch: Mount Pleasant train accident ruled suicide
Our partners at Mount Pleasant Patch report that Wednesday's pedestrian struck by a train was ruled a suicide by the Coroner's Office.
June 13, 2013 - WISN 12 Milwaukee
- Tony Stewart in Seattle Times
There's not really a reason to be concerned about it,two-time Cup champion Tony Stewart said. "It's either going to work out fine or come apart. The big patch that they put down seems to be working pretty well. I don't have a big sense of...
- Roger Federer in San Francisco Chronicle
That match was really hot I remember. ...... I could hardly walk after five games. So I had that problem,Federer said. "But then also I had no confidence. That's where I was just not good enough yet. I went through a patch where I had many...